Sunday, February 18, 2007

Could this be Agape?

I enjoyed the reading from the King James Version of 1 Corinthians 12:27-13:13. I have grown too accustomed to hearing the modern translation of agape as love. to hear it again as "charity" makes you slow down and think. "Charity" was dropped probably because of its current implications of giving to the poor and so called charitable organizations. "Love" may need to be dropped because it is too generic and in such common use that people have taken Paul's letter as if it were meant for the marriage of man and wife. "Agape" has a different meaning to the pewster. I think of it as a word that describes both the intellectual and the emotional/spiritual sides of the God-man relationship. Agape is something that flows from God. Thanks to God this agape will also show in our interpersonal relationships. The results of agape are ultimately good, although intellectually we know things will not always seem to be done by a loving God. I may not be able to channel agape through my hands like Charlie, but if I keep working at it, I may in time see "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:42 PM

    Lowell talks of divine love in today's comments on the daily lectionary. Go to the links section on the blog to see his complete commentary. He writes, "And everything that is given is given in relationship. First in the divine relationship of eternal love -- the Father emptying the divine life in love of the Son; the Son returning that love in complete giving to the Father; the Spirit Being the very love that unites them. Out of that primordial relationship of creative love comes everything that has being. All is a reflection of the divine relationship of love. Everything I am is a reflection of my participation in this overflowing, creative love."

    ReplyDelete