Sunday, May 30, 2010

Trinity Flower

Today is "Trinity Sunday." Instead of a sermon where the doctrine of the Trinity was discussed, our sermon took a more down to earth approach by examining a recent triad of funerals in our extended family. I don't know if the number (three) was chance or not, but the coincidence did get me thinking about all of those little trinities that go past unnoticed.

Just yesterday, I was on a hike in the woods, and my attention was drawn to several Trinity flowers. I stopped and took a photo, but was unable to get a good image of the small flower. Here is one from Finegardening.com


Trillium pusillum
Also known as the Dwarf wakerobin, or Wood lily.

There is always something more to reflect upon, and the picture above was no exception.



The little worm hanging onto the Trinity flower's leaf reminded me of our place around the beauty of the Holy Trinity. Much like the worm, we hang onto the Trinity, and in a way, we are nourished by both the doctrine and the deeper meaning of the Trinity. Oh yes, the Trinity flower does bear fruit, but that is an unseen hope of the flower in this image.

One of today's readings was Romans 5:1-5, and hidden therin lay another little trinity flower:
"...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope..."

To all who hang on to the tip of the leaf, the hope of the flower awaits.

____________________________________________________________________________

As part of our ongoing series on "missing verses," I noticed that the Revised Common Lectionary omitted parts of the O.T. reading today. This time omitted was Proverbs 8:5-21 (for some reason the reading was Proverbs 8:1-4,22-31).

5 O simple ones, learn prudence;
acquire intelligence, you who lack it.
6 Hear, for I will speak noble things,
and from my lips will come what is right;
7 for my mouth will utter truth;
wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
8 All the words of my mouth are righteous;
there is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
9 They are all straight to one who understands
and right to those who find knowledge.
10 Take my instruction instead of silver,
and knowledge rather than choice gold;
11 for wisdom is better than jewels,
and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.
12 I, wisdom, live with prudence,
and I attain knowledge and discretion.
13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
and perverted speech I hate.
14 I have good advice and sound wisdom;
I have insight, I have strength.
15 By me kings reign,
and rulers decree what is just;
16 by me rulers rule,
and nobles, all who govern rightly.
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me.
18 Riches and honour are with me,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold,
and my yield than choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 endowing with wealth those who love me,
and filling their treasuries.


From one character to another, the fruit that is better than gold awaits the one who hangs on to the end.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:02 PM

    I know the concept of the Triune God is a difficult one, but for me, I never had a problem understanding a single deity with multiple essences. We need to remember that absent God's becoming flesh and then filling us with His Spirit upon our salvation, we would have no hope whatsoever.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because the Trinity is difficult for some (clergy and lay people) to get a handle on, it is often not given an adequate presentation during a Sunday homily.

    It is something I hang onto with hope as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across an interesting Trinity Sunday's sermon here: http://dstp.cba.pl/?p=1773

    ReplyDelete