Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who is Going to Save This Land?

I just got finished watching President Obama's speech from the Oval Office about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I recall that last week he said he was trying to find an @$$ to kick.



For some reason, a Randy Newman song from his 1974 "Good Old Boys" album came to mind. Around the 1:38 mark of the video comes the following line:

"Who took on the Standard Oil men
And whipped their ass
Just like he promised he'd do?
Ain't no Standard Oil men gonna run this state
Gonna be run by little folks like me and you

Kingfish, Kingfish
Friend of the working man
Kingfish, Kingfish
The Kingfish gonna save this land"



I don't know why, but Randy Newman's dark humor about the populist Louisiana Governor Huey Long seems appropriate right now. I don't know if Louisiana ever recovered from the first Kingfish. Let us pray that God will save this land.

No comments:

Post a Comment