Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I've Got My Wood Cut Out For Me

Moreover, the fleet of Hiram, which carried gold from Ophir, brought from Ophir a great quantity of almug wood and precious stones. From the almug wood the king made supports for the house of the Lord, and for the king’s house, lyres also and harps for the singers; no such almug wood has come or been seen to this day. - 1 Kings 10:11-12


I didn't have any almug trees cut down this year, but did have a couple of oaks taken down.

As summer winds down, and it starts to become almost bearable to work outdoors, we have been busy adding to the woodpile. Unfortunately for me, the bugs have been doing their best to slow my progress. Work was temporarily halted after a very hungry caterpillar got under my shirt and expressed his dislike for his new home.

Now I know how Solomon's workers must have felt.


I took this picture about a third of the way through the job.

It needs to cool off another 10-20 degrees or more for the bugs to get less aggressive so I can start splitting wood.

I recall that Solomon had plenty of hewers of wood available.
"And Solomon had threescore and ten thousand that bare burdens, and fourscore thousand hewers in the mountains;" 1 Kings 5:15(KJV)
Oh, how I wish I had a wood splitter.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Rent one. Life's too short to do it the old fashioned way.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what they would think if I went into the rental store and asked for a hewer of wood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ToilNotSpin1:18 AM

    If I remember my Bible correctly, at this point you have to BUY hewers of wood and they come complete with drawers of water....or is there a kind of law against that now, that maybe I missed..?

    Sadly enough, in my neighborhood, I have people knocking on my door several times a day asking if there is any yard work they can do. I shall send them to your, er, e-mail address:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was Joshua who ordered the deceiving Gibeonites to be condemned to be hewers of wood and drawers of water (Joshua 9:23).

    Solomon might have paid his hewers at first but it must have become a heavy yoke because Rehoboam, the next king, made the error of making the burden heavier. (1 Kings 12:11)

    "Now, whereas my father laid on you a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke. My father disciplined you with whips, but I will discipline you with scorpions.”

    I am thankful that I only had to deal with a caterpillar and not a scorpion!

    I am also glad that I had osk trees hewn and not a yew, for if I did the following tongue twister would keep bothering me:

    She who hews yews knew whose yew you hew.

    ReplyDelete