Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Trinity Shines Through

This was Trinity Sunday, and in our church the job of preaching the sermon on this day is typically given to the most junior clergy member as senior clergy have come to dread preaching about the Trinity... or so I have been told.

Lacking any junior clergy in our parish, the job fell to a new High School graduate.

We didn't hear much about the theology of the Holy Trinity (not that I expected to), but our college bound preacher did a good job anyway.

Given the added time to reflect on the Sunday readings on my own allowed my personal light bulb to go off.

1) During Easter season we heard a lot about Jesus.

2) On Pentecost we heard about the Holy Spirit.

3) On Trinity Sunday, in the longest reading Genesis 1:1-2:3 we heard about God the Father and how He created the heavens and earth and the first vegetarians (Gen 1:29-30),
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.  And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
This is the one time that the lectionary made sense to me. The pattern does kinda suggest the Trinity, which around here is often referred to as celery, bell peppers, and onions.

From  http://globalgrub.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I usually have the congregation recite the Athanasian Creed but it was also father's day Sunday so I wove the earthly and spiritual father concepts together.

    ReplyDelete