Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rowan Calling



The Clash: "London Calling"
(Strummer/Jones)

With the recent failed attempt by Rowan Williams (the Archbishop of Canterbury) to stop the Episcopal church from widening the gulf between themselves and the Anglican Communion, and speculation mounting as to what response we might hear from Canterbury, the pewster recalled the song "London Calling" and wondered if I could help with an update.

"Rowan Calling" by Wallace Hartley

"Rowan calling to the purple shirts
Now that war is declared-my ego is hurt
Rowan calling to the underground
Come out of the closet, all you lost and found
Rowan calling, now don't look to us
All that phony Biblemania has bitten the dust
Rowan calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the spin of that thurible thing

CHORUS
The dark age is coming, the sun is growing dim
Evangelicals stop running and the wafers are thin
A theological error, but I have no fear
Rowan is frowning-and you just don't care

Rowan calling to the T.E.C.
Forget it, brother, an' go it without me
Rowan calling upon the zombies of death
Quit holding out-and draw another breath
Rowan calling-and I don't wanna shout
But when we were talking-I saw you nodding out
Rowan calling, see we ain't got no prayer
Don't hold your breath, I'm still up in the air

CHORUS

Now get this
London calling, yeah, I was there, too
An' you know what I said? Well, none of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
After all this, won't you give me a smile?

I never felt so much a' like"

No comments:

Post a Comment