Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New Horizons

Over at Musings From the Hinterland, R. Sherman posted some sunset photos. This reminded me that I had taken these sunrise pics a few weeks ago thinking they might go in a future post to be titled "False Horizons."

The end of summer brings early morning fog on Carolina lakes. On August 30, I took these pictures of sunrise using my aging cell phone's camera.



The sun is up above the fog bank, but you might think that the sun is on the horizon.


                               (A little later)

There should actually be a distant shoreline with trees and hills visible, but the horizon is obscured by fog. This gives the appearance of a new horizon which reminded me of a song, so I decided to rename the post "New Horizons."


"Well I've had dreams enough for one
And I've got love enough for three
I have my hopes to comfort me
I got my new horizons out to sea

But I'm never going to lose your precious gift
It will always be that way
Cos I know I'm going to find my own peace of mind
Someday...

Where is this place that we have found
Nobody knows where we are bound
I long to hear, I need to see
Cos I've shed tears too many for me

But I'm never going to lose your precious gift
It will always be that way
Cos I know I'm going to find my own peace of mind
Someday...

On the wind soaring free
Spread your wings
I'm beginning to see
Out of mind far from view
Beyond the reach of a nightmare come true

Well I've had dreams enough for one
And I got love enough for three
I have my hopes to comfort me
I got my new horizons out to sea

But I'm never going to lose your precious gift
It will always be that way
Cos I know I'm going to find my own peace of mind
Someday...
Someway..."
Justin Hayward, from The Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn," 1972.
In part because I am a lousy chess player, I have always had a hard time predicting what lies beyond the fog bank that hides the future from our sight. I realize that this may make me more susceptible to being misled by visions of a false horizon. New horizons are attractive, but I have learned to not set sail on a foggy morning for there is danger in the mist.

Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Blogger was buggered yesterday, so I couldn't post a comment.

    Thanks for the plug and great photos. We get decent sunrises too, but the view is as good as to the west. Thus, no sunrise photos from me.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete