Sunday, March 25, 2018

"The Key Problem with Holy Week"

This Sunday, churchgoers will attend Palm Sunday (or Cloak Sunday for some of us) services as we begin Holy Week. The Liturgy of the Palms typically includes a reading from Mark 11:1-11,
When they were approaching Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples and said to them, ‘Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden; untie it and bring it. If anyone says to you, “Why are you doing this?” just say this, “The Lord needs it and will send it back here immediately.” ’ They went away and found a colt tied near a door, outside in the street. As they were untying it, some of the bystanders said to them, ‘What are you doing, untying the colt?’ They told them what Jesus had said; and they allowed them to take it. Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields. Then those who went ahead and those who followed were shouting,
‘Hosanna!
   Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
   Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David!
Hosanna in the highest heaven!’
  Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve.
Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday traditionally have been well attended with many irregular churchgoers showing up for the first time in weeks, and they have a variety of reasons for their presence. I have never seen a survey of these folks asking the question, "Why do you come once or twice a year?", but I think the results would be interesting. I can guess what some might say:
  • I pray to God at home, and that is okay.
  • I want my kids to see this.
  • I came to be with my parents.
  • It is a family tradition.
  • I love the music, the flowers, etc.

Each year, pastors complain that the rest of Holy Week services are poorly attended by their regular Sunday churchgoers. I have always had this personal feeling of guilt about Holy Week, I imagine that if I had been in Jerusalem at that time, and if I had been a follower of Jesus back then (which I doubt), I would have run away at the first sign of trouble, which is what I suspect many of his followers did. For this reason, I usually return to my fishing nets this week. I understand that other people work, are busy, or travelling, but I think the problem for some folks is a lack of faith. 

I believe that most people fully believe that Jesus existed and that he was crucified. Unfortunately, there are a large number of people who don't believe the rest of the historical record and the reasons for Jesus' life and sacrifice. The key problem with Holy Week is not that people don't show up for the weekday services.

I lifted the following from Kings Lynn ,
"Here’s the key problem with Holy Week as described above: People who halfheartedly believe that they’re sinners try to stir up sorrow for an atoning death they’re not quite convinced they need, so that a few days later they can try to stir up joy for the benefits of a resurrection they don’t quite understand or believe in. So understood, it’s not very convincing theater, and even less is it worthy worship."
If  people can come to see God's love for us, that we need Him, that He would die for us, then more would fall on their knees and worship him more lovingly and more regularly. 

Even during Holy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment