Sunday, January 09, 2011

Keeping It Simple

A couple of weeks ago I responded to someone who was trying to get me to give a more detailed explanation of something by saying, "I like it simple." Judging by the negative reaction to my comment, I concluded that some people like it complicated. When it comes to Christian theology, the most important work of the theologian, after their pages and pages of analysis, interpretation, extrapolation, should be to simplify things for those of us who don't make a living by writing about God.

I think that would be in keeping with the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles.

Today's readings included the witness of Peter: Acts 10:34-43
where he relates Jesus' marching orders,
42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one ordained by God as judge of the living and the dead.
43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

Why make it anymore diffcult than that?

"The real fasting of the preacher is not from food, but rather from eloquence, from impressiveness, and exquisite diction... from everything that might hinder the Gospel of God being presented."

From "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment