Monday, April 18, 2011

Collects For the Week Before Easter (1928 Prayer Book)

Yesterday, as I was pumping a little iron, my eyes fell upon a little white book wedged between assorted secular texts. It was the 1928 Prayer Book my mother received on her wedding day. It opened straight away to the Collects for the week before Easter. This week, I will post the Collects as resources for prayer and reflection. In searching for an online version, I found that these were found in the 1786 Proposed, 1789, 1892, and 1928 U. S. Books of Common Prayer.

The Collect for the Monday before Easter.

ALMIGHTY God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified; Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

- From justus.anglican.org

2 comments:

  1. Kelso3:27 PM

    It's the Prayer Book I use! May I recommend this excellent site which recites Morning and Evening Prayer every day - and the Litany on Fridays (after MP). The beautiful poetry is said by a strong-voiced priest and the congregational response are done by a wonderful soprano.
    http://www.cradleofprayer.org/free-daily-prayer-download.html

    It's so much better than the Holy Roller nonsense that passes for the Episcopal Church nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:16 PM

    Holy Week is indeed a time for reflection. I may not get to post my thoughts, but I'll repost something for Maunday Thursday, at least. Thanks in advance for the daily reminders!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete