Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's, Son's, and Holy Spirit's Day

Today is both Trinity Sunday and Father's Day so I have been thinking about the relationships between the three persons of the Trinity as well as those human relationships that we honor today.

In the Church, the rector is often called "Father___," and I suppose that it is natural that people sometimes develop a sort of child/father relationship with their priest.

Which brings me to note that the turnout for today's Trinity Sunday service paled in comparison to last week's large turnout for our rector's retirement celebration.

I know that our church attendance drops in the summer, but last week proved that people are still willing to come to church on Sunday if they can be motivated to do so.

But what about,

Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Deuteronomy 5:16 "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Ephesian 6:2 "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--

Of all the various reasons why we place human relationships above our relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, I can't come up with one that justifies our doing so.

I would like to honor both my heavenly father and my earthly one on this day.
While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers appeared outside, wishing to speak with him.
(Someone told him, "Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, asking to speak with you.")
But he said in reply to the one who told him, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?"
And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matthew 12:46-50

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword.
For I have come to set a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
and one's enemies will be those of his household.'
"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:34-38
Thank you Lord for Fathers everywhere. They have been a large part of leading us to You, and we honor them when we worship You.

No comments:

Post a Comment