Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Progressive Garbage in, Progressive Garbage Out: Is Heaven a Place on Earth?

One thing that is reflective of the progressive mindset is that we can create heaven on Earth or that we should be working to do so.

For the past few months there has been an annoying commercial running on television by the appropriately named Progressive Insurance company that proudly proclaims the progressive worldview. If you haven't seen and heard it, here it is,




"Heaven Is a Place on Earth" is a song from 1987. It hit number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 on December 5, 1987. It also topped the charts in  the UK. The lyrics are concerned about romantic love, but stray into theology with the refrain and words like this,
"They say in heaven love comes firstWe'll make heaven a place on earthOoh, heaven is a place on earth"

Here are the rest of the lyrics,




Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven, love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth

When the night falls down
I wait for you and you come around
And the world's alive with the sound
Of kids on the street outside

When you walk into the room
You pull me close and we start to move
And we're spinning with the stars above
And you lift me up in a wave of love

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth

When I feel alone, I reach for you
And you bring me home
When I'm lost at sea I hear your voice
And it carries me

In this world we're just beginning
To understand the miracle of living
Baby, I was afraid before
But I'm not afraid anymore

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth.
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth

In this world we're just beginning
To understand the miracle of living
Baby, I was afraid before
But I'm not afraid anymore

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth

My choral director missed the theological issue completely and was most annoyed that sometimes she might act like "Jamie" the director of the choir in the commercial. Everyone chuckled at the truth in her comment, but I cringed at the thought that no one saw the potential danger of the progressive worldview being conveyed by this seemingly harmless television ad.

The zeitgeist works its way into our mindset in many ways so we should be very careful about what society is feeding us.

As the updated saying goes, progressive garbage in, progressive garbage out.

3 comments:

  1. I think Progressive Insurance was actually formed in 1937 by political progressives and so named on purpose. I don't really know if its insurance products are preferable to any others. Business is business, even for progressives.

    I've seen that commercial and all I wondered was what it had to do with insurance.

    As we know, romantic love (or erotic love, per the song) is only one kind of love. Jesus tells us specifically that there will be no marrying or giving in marriage in the resurrection. Romantic love, while precious to those who find it, is a faint reflection of the heavenly love we all hope to be part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know that about Progressive Insurance. All I know is that we have gotten quotes from them several times in the past few years and their rates have always been too high. Maybe that is the heaven they are shooting for, to have high prices in order to pay for all of the advertising they are doing.

      Delete
    2. That advertising does cost money. Somebody has to pay.

      Delete