Sunday, August 18, 2019

And Brother Against Brother?

In this Sunday's reading from Luke 12:49-56, Jesus predicts the division of households,
‘I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided:father against son   and son against father,mother against daughter   and daughter against mother,mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law   and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.’He also said to the crowds, ‘When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, “It is going to rain”; and so it happens. And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, “There will be scorching heat”; and it happens. You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
Jesus' words are still applicable today. My house is  divided. One of my siblings attends a liberal, same-sex blessing, anything goes TEo church, my other sibling is not a church goer, my aunt and uncle are Roman Catholic, and my children are anti-church rebels.

As a Christian who believes that a Christian marriage is between one man and one woman, that abortion is the killing of a baby, and that divorce of a believing couple should never happen, I have experienced rejection many times, but I have made a few surprising friends. While it shouldn't, the fear of rejection makes me avoid raising the subject of my faith with new acquaintances. At least I can discuss contemporary Christian issues with pewsterspouse and my Roman Catholic relatives without ruining a dinner party.

Jesus did not say anything in these verses about dividing brother against brother, but that is the picture that some are trying to paint of the Anglican divide? Are we brothers united with people who claim to be Christian yet who openly deny the very words of the Lord, or are we then a house divided by Christ himself?
The Bishops of Tanzania think so. In their recent communique, they state,

"That, we will not attend Lambeth 2020 – because it is organized and planned in such a way that bishops who have departed from the authority of Scripture as understood in historic Anglicanism are invited and bishops who are standing faithful to Scripture are excluded, in particular those from the Anglican Church in North America and the Anglican Church in Brazil." 
Do you think that Jesus came to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, until His coming again, there will always be division!

2 comments:

  1. This is a tough one. I preached on the opening Collect and Epistle Lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our priest used the reading from Jeremiah and the Epistle.

    ReplyDelete