Sunday, May 06, 2018

How Do We Go About Loving One Another?

Today, most churches using the Revised Common Lectionary will hear John 15:9-17,

9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
12 ‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I do not call you servants* any longer, because the servant* does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

In this Sunday's Gospel reading, Jesus gives one important command to his disciples, to love one another as He loved them (v. 12), but he also mentions that there are other commandments to keep as well (v. 10).

The problem that modern listeners have is that when they hear the word "love", they associate it more with "acceptance", and "tolerance" than having to lay down their lives for another person. Sure, there are some who appear to be ready to die wrapped in a rainbow colored flag in support of the LGBTQetc., but I would bet that many more would not go that far.

The question I pose is this, how tolerant, and how accepting is Jesus's love for us?

Let us be reminded that Jesus had some harsh words for his opponents and even his disciples. He could not tolerate or accept the money changers in the Temple. Peter was scolded by Jesus when he told Peter, "Get thee behind me Satan". 

The loving Father corrects us when we are wrong, and we don't like to be corrected.

But that also is love.

So, when we try to love one another, should we be silent when we see our friend straying from God's commandments? If we do nothing, is it out of fear of losing a friendship or damaging our reputation? Remembering that we should be willing to lay down our life for that person, all fear should be cast aside.


4 comments:

  1. The attitude at many of these churches will be, "Commandments? We don't need no stinking Commandments." They substitute instead the Debby Boone definition: "It can't be wrong, if it feels so right."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our vicar described Jesus’ command as “the Eleventh Commandment”. I have been in other churches in which the priest during the course of their sermon turned the Ten Commandments into the “Ten Suggestions”.

      Delete
  2. "You did not choose me but I chose you." Thank You Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pro choice... God’s choice not mine.

      Delete