Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Giving Up Cynicism For Lent? Not me!

I grew up in a largely Roman Catholic community, and every year about this time the neighborhood kids would ask me what I was going to give up for Lent. Usually it was something like potato chips or sodas. Whatever I chose typically wound up like a New Year's resolution, a promise never kept. 

As I grew older and wiser, I learned that I was supposed to give up something that was keeping me apart from God. Okay, I thought, I will give up television, or movies, the computer, or some other distraction.

Then I had a priest who said that Lent was all about getting ready for Easter. That gave me a free pass for a couple of years.

Then, one year I fasted instead of eating lunch, closed the office door and spent the time I would ordinarily be spending with my business associates praying. I almost made it the full 40 days that time, but I was a little weak on prayer.

This year, The Archbishop of Canterbury has a suggestion: "Giving up cynicism".

From Premier.org,
The Archbishop of Canterbury's urged fellow leaders in the Church of England to give up cynicism for Lent and to show more love towards those they disagree with.
Speaking at the start of a meeting by General Synod, Most Rev Justin Welby admitted members disagree on issues such as "inclusion".
He said: "As we journey towards Lent some of you may be considering what you might give up during the penitential season.
"I urge you to consider especially as members of General Synod giving up cynicism and renewing love for those with whom you and I differ."
Cynical me thought, "That will never work."

I think I will go back to giving up lunch and try to do a better job of praying.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine2:26 PM

    He doesn't mean giving up cynicism. He means giving up the effort to convince sinners of the truth, in love.

    I am fasting today (which means, for me, liquids but no food until supper time). I may try to do this Wednesdays and Fridays this Lent. But the positive thing I'm doing is trying to read the New Testament straight through by Easter. Should be doable, with the ESV study Bible on my Kindle, so I never lose my place.

    A blessed Lent to you.

    ReplyDelete