Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Real Easter Egg Hunt

If the Easter egg is a prize to be hunted for, then what were the followers of Jesus looking for when they found the empty tomb?  Certainly not a multicolored egg. Despite the angel's declaration, despite Mary's witness, at the end of the day the disciples were still hunting for someone they thought they had lost, not fully aware of the magnitude of the real prize that had been bought for them.

I never cared for Easter eggs, but I did like chocolate bunnies, and that is what I would hunt for while my siblings searched for eggs on Easter morning. To me, a chocolate rabbit was the great prize to be found on Easter. How wrong I was.

Likewise, I don't think the disciples had it figured out yet. The real prize, salvation, had been given to us by Jesus.

For that reason we need to stay tuned, and keep attending church to hear the rest of the story.

And that is why I wish everyone a happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment