Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I Swore I Would Never Do This Again

Having endured two separate three year terms on the vestry of my last Episcopal church, I swore that I would never serve on a vestry again, but after having relocated and finding myself at a fairly new, small Anglican church, I have answered the call and am now part of a vestry.

The rector swears that this will be a far better experience than what I went through in the past.

He may be right because we are in the black, we have reserve funds, we have new heating and air, and the roof doesn't leak.

But most importantly, when we gather together, we confess that we are sinners, we reassert the truths found in the Bible, and unashamedly proclaim Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

What could go wrong?


Update: One of the heating units just went out today!

4 comments:

  1. Katherine5:12 PM

    Good luck! I find parish diocesan affairs are a lot less fraught with trouble in a believing parish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I believe you will be proven right.

      Delete
  2. Kevin Davis7:48 PM

    AFter starting my first term on the vestry at age 20 , I served for the next 25+ years. Only time off was when I had to rotate off. At the end of those 25+ years I finally had enough. I quit when two people called we a liar to my face at the vestry meeting. My wife had witnessed the phone conversation that started the accusations. I swore that I would never serve on the vestry again. I year and a half ago I started serving on the vestry of a small Anglican parish. So much for saying no. I guess GOD does work in strange ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, done that. I knew God wasn't through with me when I retired.

      Delete