Sunday, November 27, 2022

Rapture Time

 The sudden disappearances described in this Sunday's reading from Matthew 24:36-44 have been argued over for ages about whether they represent pre-tribulation rapture or post-tribulation. 

‘But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.

For the pre-tribulation folks I quote Revelation 7:2-4,

Then I saw another angel ascending from the rising of the sun, with the seal of the living God, and he called with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm earth and sea,  saying, “Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, until we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.”  And I heard the number of the sealed, 144,000, sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:

For the post-tribulation folks, I give them the following from Revelation 7: 9-14, 

 After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God,  saying, “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen.”

Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?”  I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

I am not 100% convinced that being "taken" means being "raptured" in the first place, but one day I will find out, and there will be no need and no time for arguments. 

1 comment:

  1. Katherine10:40 AM

    Good point about the meaning of "taken." What I get from these passages is that I do not know the day and the hour when the Lord will return, nor do I know the day and the hour when my soul will be required of me, if it's before the Lord comes, so I'd better pay attention to my prayers and to my behavior. It may be at any moment.

    ReplyDelete