Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Meanwhile in Scotland: No Joke

I have an upcoming trip across the pond on a choir tour, and a recent story from The Herald Scotland reminds me that I can't  mention this blog, and that I must not tell any jokes while I am over there. 

Police Scotland’s officers will investigate actors and comedians if a complaint is made under new hate crime laws.

Training, obtained by The Herald, states that material regarded as “threatening and abusive” under the Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) can be communicated “through public performance of a play.”

Jesus would be jailed pretty quickly for some of his words under these hate crime laws. 

Just think what they would do to Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones if they performed "Brown Sugar" in Scotland.

 I guess I won't be seeing any of Shakespeare's plays performed during my travels. 

I had better keep my mouth shut, and I must carefully review our choral pieces for potentially offensive language before I board that plane.  

Addendum: I looked through our music, and I can only hope no Muslims show up for our church services. 


2 comments:

  1. Katherine8:17 AM

    If your choir pieces have Christian religious content, you could be in trouble. What a sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. If I stop blogging, you will know what happened.

      Delete