Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Dropped by Your Ally/Partner

When Judy Collins wrote this song, she could not imagine that it might relate to how our country dropped its allies in Afghanistan. It was more of an allegorical song about a broken trapeze artist who had crashed to the ground, and is left wondering when the clowns will be sent in to distract the crowd. It was a lover's lament that makes me tear up to this day. I cry today for the Afghani Christians who are left facing the terror to come.




 Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air,
Where are the clowns?

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move,
Where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns?

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours
Making my entrance again with my usual flair
Sure of my lines
No one is there

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want
Sorry, my dear!
But where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late in my career
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns
Well, maybe next year

4 comments:

  1. Katherine9:19 AM

    There used to be a sense of honor and of keeping commitments. Now we have between 6,000 and 11,000 American passport holders, plus special visa applicants and holders, stranded in a hostile environment where many of them will be murdered. And there are people attached to our European allies in similar peril. I should say, our former allies; our current president has destroyed more than just our Afghanistan operation.

    And then there are Afghan Christians, many of whom will either be murdered or will fall away from the faith.

    Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen Beck who has raised millions to get them out "announced on Tuesday a third flight has taken off taking the total number of Christians evacuated up to 1,200."
    “While we slept, The Nazarene Fund was busy loading planes. This was the second plane load of Afghanistan Christian refugees leaving Kabul.”
    https://www.faithwire.com/2021/08/24/after-raising-over-28-million-to-rescue-afghan-christians-glenn-beck-shares-incredible-update/?utm_source=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_medium=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_campaign=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&utm_content=PANTHEON_STRIPPED&inid=a687e0c0-7f5b-eb11-b823-005056af0da1&fbclid=IwAR31eRQ-s3dsT0oRxoSWGKmvS_CwIPQmvNQ_2gYjkVdPTArFG3dSSufiMoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine7:31 PM

    Good for Glenn Beck! What I'm reading is that in general people airlifted out are from the Kabul area, and other parts of Afghanistan are not being reached.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine12:23 PM

    Troops from Fort Bragg, in eastern NC, departed for Kabul a few days ago. Now some have been injured, at least, or maybe killed, by ISIS suicide bombers and gunmen.

    Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete