Sunday, January 14, 2024

A Sure Bet

This Sunday's Psalm reading in churches using the Revised Common Lectionary is Psalm 139:1-5,12-17, Domine, probasti.


1 Lord, you have searched me out and known me; *

you know my sitting down and my rising up;

you discern my thoughts from afar.


2 You trace my journeys and my resting-places *

and are acquainted with all my ways.


3 Indeed, there is not a word on my lips, *

but you, O Lord, know it altogether.


4 You press upon me behind and before *

and lay your hand upon me.


5 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; *

it is so high that I cannot attain to it.

darkness and light to you are both alike.


12 For you yourself created my inmost parts; *

you knit me together in my mother's womb.


13 I will thank you because I am marvelously made; *

your works are wonderful, and I know it well.


14 My body was not hidden from you, *

while I was being made in secret

and woven in the depths of the earth.


15 Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;

all of them were written in your book; *

they were fashioned day by day,

when as yet there was none of them.


16 How deep I find your thoughts, O God! *

how great is the sum of them!


17 If I were to count them, they would be more in number than the sand; *

to count them all, my life span would need to be like yours.

 I think some of the lessons taught in this Psalm will not be mentioned by revisionist preachers in their sermons today. In fact you can bet on it. See if you can guess what I am talking about. They will probably talk about racism instead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment