Sunday, May 26, 2024

Trinity Sunday and Memorial Day together in song

 This Sunday is the confluence of Trinity Sunday with a Memorial Day weekend. For this I chose what some might consider an unusual processional hymn to begin the service, "Let all mortal flesh keep silence" in part because "St. Patrick's Breastplate" was too hard for our small congregation to sing. 

1 Let all mortal flesh keep silence,

and with fear and trembling stand;

ponder nothing earthly minded,

for, with blessing in His hand,

Christ our God to earth descendeth,

our full homage to demand.

2 King of kings, yet born of Mary,

as of old on earth He stood,

Lord of lords, in human vesture,

in the body and the blood.

He will give to all the faithful

His own self for heav'nly food.

3 Rank on rank the host of heaven

spreads its vanguard on the way,

as the Light of light descendeth

from the realms of endless day,

that the pow'rs of hell may vanish

as the darkness clears away.

4 At His feet the six-winged seraph,

cherubim with sleepless eye,

veil their faces to the Presence,

as with ceaseless voice they cry,

“Alleluia, alleluia,

alleluia, Lord Most High!” 

From  Hymnary.org

"One of the lesser sung Christmas hymns, this paraphrase of Gerard Moultrie is based on a text that has been used by the church since the late fourth century: the Liturgy of St. James. Moultrie’s words come from a part of that liturgy known as the Cherubic Hymn, which would be chanted as the bread and wine of Holy Eucharist were brought forward. This old text evokes a sense of majesty at the incarnation of Christ, and the slow, almost chant-like melody in a minor tone wonderfully expresses that awe and mystery. We come before Christ in silence and in awe to reflect upon the mystery of the incarnation, joined even by the hosts of heaven to witness the miracle. Singing this hymn, one can imagine him or herself standing in the stable, angels above, in reverent silence to worship the King, born a child to banish the darkness away."

I chose it because it fits perfectly with the reading from Isaiah 6:1-8

I

n the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one called to another and said:

‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;

the whole earth is full of his glory.’

The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. And I said: ‘Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!’

 Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: ‘Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out.’ Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I; send me!’

 I felt that the reverent tone was appropriate for Memorial Day also. 

I chose "Almighty Father strong to save" for the Offertory.

We'll process out to "Crown Him with many crowns". 

Postlude tune will be "Materna" which should be familiar to the congregation as it goes to, "O beautiful for spacious skies...".

 

1 comment:

  1. Katherine10:08 AM

    One of my favorite hymns! I usually hear it as a communion hymn, and not often enough at that.

    The theology St. Patrick's Breastplate is good, but as you say, it's hard for congregations to sing, even with a keyboard/organ and choir leadership. Another hymn I dislike in church is the Easter hymn, "Hail Thee, Festival Day," in which Vaughan Williams makes the congregation wander through different tunes and rhythms for far too long. Nice processional for a large cathedral church. For a smaller parish, not so great.

    ReplyDelete